Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Book Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Hey everyone!
So today I have a short book review on a great book! I heard a lot of great things about The Book Thief, which is what we're discussing today, and I thought I should get it. This will be a spoiler-free review, except let me say one thing: the ending made me cry. Anyways, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:
The Book Thief"It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.By her brother's graveside, Liesel Meminger's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Grave Digger's Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.

But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up and closed down.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time."

 
First of all, I heard amazing things about this book, and don't get me wrong- I did love this book, yet I was expecting something to amaze me. Unfortunately, I didn't get exactly what I was looking for, but I still loved this book. One thing that I liked what the unique narrator. This book is narrated by Death. How cool? Secondly, I loved the characters. Every one we ran into I liked, even if their personality's themselves weren't wonderful. My favorites have to be Liesel, Rudy, Hans, and Max. They were just likable and well-developed. The writing was really nice, too. It was simple, but there were so many metaphors and similes, and very creative ones, for that matter. But the ending. It wasn't like it was bad or anything, it was just so sad. So heads up! I really enjoyed this book, and I would still give it a 5/5 stars. I thought everything was great, but I heard that this a book, that NY Times says on the cover, is "Life changing". Anyways, thanks for reading! -Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment