Thursday, May 30, 2013

Book Reviews: The Mara Dyer Series (1&2) by Michelle Hodkin

Hey everyone!
So a few days ago, I finished The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, the first two books in a trilogy. And I loved them! They were so good. The books had some creepy elements but they were so interesting. I liked the second one more because I thought it was more creepy and exciting, but it did have some cons, too. I'll let you know when spoilers start!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer | Book 1
"Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong."

In other words, Mara Dyer survived an incident where all her friends were killed and she was fine, even though the whole building collapsed. She's suffering from PTSD and can't remember anything from the incident. And of course, there's more involved than it looks like.
One thing I really liked about this series is Mara. She's an unreliable character, but that's one of the reasons why I like her. We have to figure things out for ourselves instead of the character always doing the solving. She's also sarcastic, which I love because I'm sarcastic myself (which you probably can't tell from just my blog). We have some other characters as well. Like Noah Shaw. At first, I wasn't sure how I was going to like Noah by his reputation and all. But by the end of this book and the second one, I'm so happy Mara met him. Their relationship is pretty funny, which is needed in this book. It was so interesting finding out what the heck happened. Overall, I loved this book.

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
The Evolution of Mara Dyer | Book 2
"Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?"

This book. I was so paranoid while reading this. When my door opened from the wind, I jumped. When I woke up in the middle of the night, I thought someone was watching me sleep (which makes more sense if you read this book). One reason why I loved this more than the first one is because it was creepy. I heard things about the first book being creepy, but this one made me change position while reading so I can see my whole room. The new antagonist in this book is now an actual person which makes things so interesting. One thing that bothered me (not because it was a bad writing choice- it just made me angry with Mara. I thought it made perfect sense and all, but if I was in her position... glad to have Noah! But her family doesn't believe anything! I was like yelling at my book. Now I'm just going to get in spoilers because I have something (more like someone, or someones if that's grammatically correct) on my mind. Okay? Okay.

SPOILERS:DON'T READ IF HAVEN'T READ. WHICH MEANS: GO READ!

Jude. Jude. JUDE. Oh my gosh. As much as I hate to admit because I don't want to make a connection with positive  and Jude, of all people, he really made this book. All his little crazy acts and all- it was just so insane. I finished this book a few days ago, finished another amazing book, and I can't stop thinking about this book. Well, I really can't stop thinking about books in general. (Speaking of which, I haven't check Mockingjay.net yet...)
Also, Noah. I do not think he's dead. It's not just denial. From what I've learned from books, you need to see a body. No body found. I bet Dr. Kels is just making that up along with everything else.
That whole dealio with Dr. Kels...???????????? ? ? ? ? ? Sorry, just a tad angry, confused, BUT MOSTLY ANGRY. Apparently, the whole thing was set up. From the insane asylum to the moment Mara woke up at the end of book 2. They were experiments. Whaaaaat? A band of supernatural paranormal killing but healing machines. Great. But I have to admit- I didn't see that coming. Never would've guessed it. Thanks, Michelle Hodkin. Now you make me wait "patiently" for you're third book. Thanks so so much. But let's be real here. I feel so bad for Mara cause if she's been through all of that just for science? Well...
Second to last thing- when it was going through the list of people at the end, all the supernaturals, it had J.L. (for Jude Lowe), but next to it it had artificially something. Whereas Mara and Noah, they all had carrier, original (actually Noah had original carrier... what does that mean..?). So, that means something is up with Jude and his supernatural ability. Which, by the way, is horrible. Killing in order to heal himself?
Lastly, in the beginning of the Unbecoming, Mara has a letter and says Mara Dyer isn't her real name. Cue, please: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? It says she had to pick a name because of her lawyer or whatever. Also, because I get way too obsessed with books and therefore look up the author's websites, Michelle Hodkin said something very interesting. The books are in past tense, the letter is present. Mara's never been to New York. So it's what's to come. WHAT? I really don't know what else to say besides it's coming out the same day as Allegiant!

Thanks for reading! -Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment