Saturday, July 6, 2013

Book Review: The Diviners by Libba Bray (Spoiler Free)

Hey everyone!
So yesterday I finished reading The Diviners by Libba Bray. At first I was intimidated by it, partly for its size (and it's not even that big- close to 600 pages), but for some reason, I thought this book would be very challenging to read and more of an adult book than a YA book. But I pos-i-toot-ly loved it! (See what I did there? If you read the book, you'd know!) I must say, I love the book jacket and actual cover itself!
The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
"Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."

When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first." (
Goodreads)


This book was creepy (probably one of the creepiest I've read so far), but it's also a very exciting, fun book when we get to go out and see New York City through a party girl's eyes in 1926. There were a few slower parts; that being said, there were a few parts were you literally could not tear your eyes away from. The characters were really great, too! Evie was this crazy girl who saw New York City as an opportunity of fun and fame. Uncle Will reminded me a lot of Macon, from the Beautiful Creatures series. All the other characters, I thought, were really interesting to read about like Memphis, Theta, and Mabel. The historical fiction portion was done really well, in my opinion. Having not a ton of knowledge from the '20's, I really got to see what it would be like and learned some things myself. The creepy portions of the book were done really well, and Libba Bray even had to make a song about our antagonist! Naughty John, Naughty John.... Thank you for that! (That was sarcasm if you didn't catch it).
I'm really excited for the next book, which I originally wasn't sure if I was going to get. But now after reading... I need it! Thanks for reading! -Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment