Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Book Review: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
Hey everyone!
I finished reading the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series last night, and am going through torture because I promised myself I would not start the Sea of Monsters until this weekend. Kids, don't make promises you don't want to keep... it ends out very bad... 

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
By Rick Riordan
**Spoiler Free**
 

*Warning: Lots of 'really liked' and 'anyways' ahead...
"Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves."

 
This book takes place all across the country in present day form, but there's a twist. There's Greek gods hovering over you, or if you're Hades, I guess, under you. I normally keep to my dystopian worlds... ohh Panem.... sorry... anyways, this was very fun to read! I really enjoyed this book. Like really, really. Easily top 10. I really liked how Rick Riordan described everything without too much detail, which bores me, unless it's The Hunger Games (......). Moreover, I came into reading this book knowing the very basics of Greek mythology. I not only enjoyed reading this book, but I learned from it too. You don't have to know things like how Demeter is the goddess of agriculture to read this book which was another bonus.
I did see the movie- which I know is "nothing like the books" as everyone tells me. When they said that I thought they meant nothing, with capital N... and O and T and H etc. There were some similarities and mostly differences, but the Minotaur part was in the movie and other things that I am not going to say in sake of those who have not read it. If you haven't read it, why are you reading this? You're supposed to be at the bookstore now or something. I really enjoyed the characters too! Haha, did you guys notice the pun (not sure if it was intentional or not) Gabe Ugliano. You probably, most likely, pronounce it differently but, Ug-ly-on-o. It sometimes how I do it. But get it? Ugliano? Yep. Real funny Kait. Hey, I thought I would mention it.
I'm not going into spoilers because there's nothing really that shocked me or very large deaths that need to be said. However, I do have a question. Which god would you want to be a demi-god of? In other words, what god-like powers do you wish you had? Hmmm... I think it would be very cool to be either Poseidon (God of the Sea) or Athena (God of Wisdom and something else, strategy or battle or something...). Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this review! Overall, 5/5 stars! :)

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book too!! The best series ever! If I had to be a demi-god, I would be the daughter of Apollo! Poseidon or Athena would be cool too...but who wouldn't like to be the daughter of the god of archery, healing, music and prophecy?
    ~Madeleine

    http://lovely-vanilla-moments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ikr? It was so good! If I had to pick, even if it isn't real, I would pick demi-god of The Hunger Games... that would be fun! Hahaha thanks fo reading!

      Delete