Friday, June 28, 2013

Book Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)Hey everyone!
I finished reading the first book in a trilogy, Across the Universe by Beth Revis. It's what I would think of if you said, "Science Fiction." There's also a dystopian element, too. But unlike a lot of science diction I read, the dystopian part isn't the whole story/conflict. I really enjoyed it! I would give it about a 4.5/5 stars.

"Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming."


The characters in this book were pretty good! I feel like I didn't fully get to know them in this one, but I have the rest of the trilogy which I'll be reading. I was so happy to have Amy on the ship because she's the only one who's not ignorant and is aware. Elder was also intriguing to me because at times I thought he was ignorant, but then he would be explaining things to Amy. The one thing that bothered me in this book was the Season. I thought it was a cool idea, but I didn't need the details on that one. But otherwise, I thought the whole concept was really cool!
SPOILERS:

I don't know about you guys, but I found this story somewhat predictable. I knew Orion wasn't just being introduced so we can know the Recorder and I figured it was him. Then when they started mentioning the old Elder that "died" did I make the connection.
The only other thing I want to mention in the spoiler portion is the fact that I really want them to get off the ship somehow. Whether they go back to Earth or the new Centauri-Earth! I've never actually read a science fiction book like this, so I have no idea what to expect with landing on a new planet. But I'm excited to see what it's like!

Thanks for reading! -Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment