Friday, May 9, 2014

Book Review: Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

Rebel BelleHey everyone!I recently picked up and read Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. I heard really great things about it from BookTube, and thought I would give it a try. And I absolutely loved it! There were many aspects to enjoy about this book: the wit, the characters, the action, and the (small amount of) romance. I gave it 5/5 stars and I cannot wait for the next one! You can find it on Goodreads. This will be a spoiler-free review! (Synopsis and review below cut.)
"Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him--and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more."


The main character, Harper, I found very funny and realistic. I never really found her annoying, and her motives were quite sincere. David Stark was just as awesome, and the two of them with their banter was really enjoyable to read. There are also many side characters whom we get to know such as Saylor, Ryan, and Bee, all who are great  in their own ways (though Ryan got a bit annoying sometimes, but it was intentional, since Harper didn't like it either). The action was really fun and exciting, too. Sometimes it came when you least expect, or other times, you were dreading for it (in a good way... I guess!). (Also I ship David and Harper very hard.) The writing matched the story with a quick pace. I loved the humor in this book, I found some of things truly funny, which I wasn't expecting. I really needed a book like this: quick, fun, and entertaining. The books I've read recentlty haven't been hitting the mark as much as the beginning of the year, but hopefully I'll read some more great books soon like this one.
Thanks for reading! -Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment