Sunday, November 3, 2013

Book Review: Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)Hey everyone!
Today I am doing the long-awaited book review for Allegiant by Veronica Roth, book three in the Divergent trilogy. Overall, I really liked this book. It probably wasn't my favorite of the three, but I still am giving it 5/5 stars! There was a lot of new information and crazy actions. And let me just say: Veronica Roth is definitely a Dauntless when it comes to that ending; which of course I'll talk about in the Spoiler section. That being said, since it is the last book in a trilogy, as of right now it will contain spoilers for the first two, but not yet Allegiant.

Allegiant, Veronica Roth | Book Three | Divergent Trilogy

"One choice will define you.
What if your whole world was a lie?
What if a single revelation—like a single choice—changed everything?
What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?


The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent."


Like  I said above, I really enjoyed this story. It was very different from the other three, mostly I think because of the setting. The characters' development in this book is pretty clear as far as Tris, Caleb, even Peter. Similarly to the first two, the plot is constantly being crazy: whether for good or bad, or new information or action left and right. I personally really liked it and would recommend to continue the series if you enjoyed Divergent and Insurgent.

SPOILERS:
I'm going to talk about the main thing that really stood out in this book. Tris's death.
What. The. Heck. Now personally, I probably(..?) wouldn't be good friends with Tris, but her death was so sad. At first, I was more in shock. Actually, let's back track a bit. When I picked up Allegiant, just for a moment did I consider Tris dying. But I didn't think too much about it because I think I would remember more. However, about 200-300 pages in, I was spoiled with, "The main character dies." Which could either mean Tris or Tobias, and I knew it would be Tris. It was inevitable. She had so many close calls and near-sacrifices. I was in complete shock when she was actually dying. Not that I wasn't expecting it, but I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Beatrice Prior from Divergent, just a struggling Abnegation is-was-dying. Dead. I also thought that she would die from the death serum, so when she survived I was a little confused. But then David just had to be there to put bullets in her. And she was so close. But I'm glad Tris did what she did for the right reason. It really shows how far she has come, no matter how sad it was. For me, the tears didn't start until we hear from Tobias's  POV. It wasn't that I was sympathizing for Tobias, I was sympathizing with him. When we see Tris dead, like actually dead, there's no turning back and she's gone, and  Tobias is crying, and I'm crying, and everyone is crying and oh gosh it was so devastating. I mean, I still can't believe she's gone. Now whenever I reread book one or two, that's honestly what I'll be thinking about. Don't get me wrong, it won't take away from reading them again, but it will be there for sure. Also, Tris and Tobias were at such a high in their relationship, and it was hard to read the epilogue without seeing Tris there.
There are also more deaths to account for. Uriah's was also very sad, but Tris's was definitely the worst. Tori and Edward died, too, which was sad and unfortunate (more so for Tori).
Caleb and Tris get a closure. I was so happy because I have a love/hate relationship with Caleb (and Peter). I hate him cause he was evil to betray Tris, but I love him cause it was such a good plot twist. Like for Peter, what he did was horribly wrong, but it added a lot of adrenaline to the book which I love.
Peter also took the memory serum which was kind of upsetting, but I understand why. I wish though we could see his reaction to Tris's death.
Also, about the whole GD's and GP's. I don't really know what to say about that, and if I did, I wouldn't have a lot. It was interesting and kind of sad that Tris's life we knew was just an experiment.
I know I didn't say too much about anything else, but Tris's death is a big factor and I need to mourn by talking about it.

Gosh.

I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
Thanks for reading, Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment