Sunday, October 28, 2012

Book Review: The Mortal Instruments "City of Bones"

Hey everyone!
Today's book review is on the City of Bones by Cassnadra Clare, the first book in her Mortal Instruments series. I read this book a little less than two months ago, but I thought it would make a great first book review. First I'm just going to go through my overall thoughts and what's it about, however then I will get into further spoilers if there's something that really stood out to me.
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I find that some people either love it or hate it, but I find I'm in the middle, and then maybe a little over to the love it side. Here's the book's synopsis:
"When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end."


When I first read this I thought it sounded very... weird, these people called Shadowhunters that rid the earth of demons? Sounds strange to me. Next time I went to the bookstore, I decided I might as well try it. Well I read, still thought it was strange, but definitely enjoyable. Not my favorite book by far, but I do recommend it. I gave this book a 3/5 stars on Goodreads.

SPOILERS!


So the whole Jace and Clary issue-at first I was happy that they finally were somewhat together and then, MR. VALENTINE COMES IN AND IS LIKE NO. SORRY, BUT NO. I wish I could have just hit him in the head with something... anyways, I did read the rest of the 5/6 books that are currently out, so... I'll leave it at that.
Valentine, Valentine, Valentine... are you sure you're not related to Voldemort? I think you are. Think about it. They were both great students everyone loved them-ish, they both want to kill all the Downworlders/Mudbloods, I think they would get along well.
Also, the actual Mortal Instruments remind me a lot of the Deathly Hallows. The mirror, sword, and cup, and then the cloak, the wand, and the resurrection stone. Just saying...
Those are just a few things that stood out to me, I woke up an hour ago, so my brain is still getting the gears going, but I hope you enjoyed!


Find it here on Goodreads (where I got the synopsis and picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment